Vegan Mushroom & Carrot Wonton Soup
An asian-inspired cozy soup.
For the wontons:
- 1 package of vegan wonton wrappers
- 1 cup TVP + 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 tbsp tamari or other soy sauce
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms
- 3 small-medium carrots
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
For the soup:
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- ~ 1cm cube of ginger, grated
- sesame oil for sautéing
- 2 stalks of celery
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- scallions or chives, chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon + 6-8 cups of water
- In a bowl, combine TVP and onion powder. Add the boiling water, mirin, tamari, rice vinegar, and minced garlic. Stir and let stand.
- Clean and finely dice mushrooms and peeled carrots.
- Sautée mushrooms and carrots for 10 minutes, then add in the TVP mixture and sautée for about 5-10 more minutes. Remove from heat.
- Prepare a small bowl of water. Set wonton wrappers on a work surface. Place 1 tsp of filling in the centre. Wet your fingers and run them along the edges of the wrapper. Fold the wonton in your desired shape. I folded it in half diagonally to make a triangle and then folded the “arms” inward.
- In a large pot, sautée garlic, finely chopped celery, and ginger for about 1 minute. Add water and bring to a boil. Add the vegetable bouillon cubes. Alternatively, use vegetable stock.
- Add wontons and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the wontons float. Add kale and simmer one more minute.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with desired toppings.