Healthy, fudgey, decadent. Both vegan and gluten free and very little prep time!
I know a lot of people are doing Veganuary/ trying to eat healthier as a resolution, SO…
Omega-3s, fibre, protein (post-gym treat??), high in iron and magnesium. Can you get a more perfect dessert?
Pickiest omnivore friend approved. Since there’s no refined sugar, these have more of a “dark chocolate” taste.
Vegan Black Bean Brownies
Healthy, fudgey, refined sugar-free vegan treat
- 1 430 gram/15-oz. can black beans, rinsed.
- 1 heaping cup medjool dates (very important that they’re medjool specifically).
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 flax eggs (2 heaping Tbsp ground flaxseed + 6 Tbsp water)
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips (omit if you want this to be refined sugar-free)
- Toppings e.g. nuts, chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 176 C.
- Line a muffin pan with muffin wrappers or silicone molds.
- Prepare your flax eggs in your food processor. Meanwhile, get all the other ingredients and rinse your beans.
- Add all ingredients besides toppings to the food processor and puree until reasonably smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed. Add water or plant milk if the batter seems too thick. The batter should be a little thick – think chocolate ganache (as opposed to cream cheese, which is too thick), but definitely not runny.
- Scoop into muffin tin – a silicone spatula works best for this. Add toppings and bake for about 25 minutes.
- Let cool and then store in the fridge (the brownies taste best when they’re cool).